To report card fraud during normal business hours, please contact Malheur Federal Credit Union at 541-889-3149. After business hours, weekends, or on holidays please call 855-448-8202 for DEBIT card fraud and 855-616-9185 for CREDIT card fraud.
Report Identity Theft
- Contact Malheur Federal Credit Union
- contact one of the three major national credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
- File a police report
- Contact any other creditors who deal with your money (i.e. other financial institutions, accountants, lenders, etc.).
- Contact other agencies, as appropriate, such as US Postal Inspectors, Social Security, etc.
- Report the Identity Theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by calling (877)-ID-THEFT or by visiting their website.
- Get your free annual credit report here.
Types of Fraud
Work from home scams
Tech support scam
Phishing emails falsely claim to be from a legitimate enterprise. Some phishing emails direct the recipient to fraudulent or “spoofed” web sites to enter personal information. Others, want you to open an attachment, click on a malicious link, or provide information in a response email.
If you have received what appears to be a phishing email pretending to be from Malheur Federal Credit Union, do not respond to the request. Instead, forward the email to email@example.com. We will handle it from there.
How to Protect Yourself
Email and Online Security
- Be alert for fraudulent or suspicious emails
- Never provide personal information via email
- Watch for errors in email messages
- Keep your computer safe with a firewall, anti-virus software, and spyware
- Set your updates to run automatically
- Protect your passwords
- Read privacy notices
- Only shop on secure websites
- Keep educated on security procedures
- Download directly from the website
Credit Card and Account Security
- Set up and utilize all debit card features
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately
- Ensure that your card is signed on the back
- Never give your credit card number over the phone, unless you are dealing with a reputable company, or you have initiated the call yourself
- Always check sales vouchers when you sign them – keep copies
- Always check your billing statement, especially after a trip
- Make record of your credit card account numbers and telephone number for reporting lost of stolen cards. Keep it in a safe place
- When selecting a PIN, always avoid the obvious
- Memorize your PIN, do not write it down
- Cancel and cut up unused credit and/or debit cards