Reporting Identity Theft

  1. Contact your local Malheur Federal Credit Union Branch.
  2. Call the companies where fraud occurred. Ask for the fraud department. Explain that someone stole your identity. Ask them to freeze your accounts. Change logins, passwords and PINS for associated accounts.
  3. Place a fraud alert by contacting one of the three credit bureaus:
    1. com/fraudalert – (888) 397-3742
    2. com/fraud – (800) 680-7289
    3. com/CreditReportAssistance – (888) 766-0008
  4. Report identity theft to the FTC.
    1. Complete the online form ( or call (877) 438-4338.
  5. Go to your local police office and file a police report. You will need:
    1. A copy of your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit
    2. Proof of your address (mortgage statement, utility bill, etc.)
    3. A government-issued ID with a photo
    4. Ask for a copy of the police report.
  6. Use your Identity Theft Affidavit (from the FTC) and police report as your “Identity Theft Report.” Your Identity Theft Report proves to businesses that someone stole your identity.
  7. Contact any other creditors who deal with your money (i.e. other financial institutions, accountants, lenders, etc.).
  8. Contact other agencies, as appropriate, such as US Postal Inspectors, Social Security, etc.

For more information on next steps, visit